CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Beautiful Message from "The Polar Express"

Ah, what a day. It hasn't been a really busy day since we can't really go anywhere. Streets in my neighbourhood are all covered with snow that measure up to as high as my knees. I have been home for the past few days, but it's okay. I like it at home.

Anyway, it's Christmas day today and I'm glad I get to stay home with my family. There's nothing better than sharing good laughs over a nice hot cup of hot chocolate... no I was kidding! I didn't drink hot chocolate, but I did eat lots of chocolate. Ahh, holidays! Among those that we did was deciding to watch The Polar Express - a story about a boy who doesn't believe in Santa Claus anymore, so he was chosen to be one of those who will board the Polar Express to North Pole to see Santa Claus in person. Although I don't really believe in Santa, I was up for a great story.

Aside from the really awesome animation that makes you feel like you're on board with them and taking part with their journey and escapades (Oh yeah, it made me remember about that interactive theater in Enchanted Kingdom, RIALTO, although this time I'm enjoying it), there are some very inspiring scenes that really touched my heart.

This is one of them, the part when they had to stop the train because of the caribous blocking the tracks.



Just in case the video wasn't working, but hopefully it is, here's what happened. The girl was put in-charge of operating the levers and other controls because the train engineer and his helper were fixing the light bulb in front of the train. When one of them saw what was ahead, they ordered the kids to stop the train. Thomas (the boy) and the girl (Sorry, I forgot her name) were panicking and they weren't sure as to how the train will be stopped. The girl was supposed to be one knowledgeable of the controls since she was the one left with the operation, but she was just too scared and confused. Thomas was now left with a very scary task - to decide which lever he will pull in order to activate the brakes. The girl pointed to a specific lever and said that she was taught that that should control the brakes, but she was not sure about it. Thomas noticed another lever that "looks" like it could be something that would control the brakes. Ultimately, he had chosen to pull the one that the girl mentioned even though both of them weren't sure, and it didn't look a lot like a "common brake lever".

That made me say "Whoa!" It might be as simple as that but it spoke to me a lot. I can relate it with what my walk with God should be.

IT SAYS: When God has shown me something or has directed me to do something, it doesn't matter if it doesn't seem to make sense. He knows what He is doing and He sees the bigger picture, and it always is the RIGHT THING to do. I may not see right away how it is supposed to be the right thing - especially when it looks so unusual that it may make me ask "What? Are you serious?" - but when He begins to make "the train stop as a result of my pulling the right lever", I will know that I had worked according to his plan.

When I was doing my devotion, it made me think of these verses:

Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path."

Isaiah 55:8-9
8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.
9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.


Sometimes it's just hard to follow especially when we don't know what is out there. What is God going to do with me? Where is God going to take me? And then when He finally reveals the details of the starting point, we might say, "No, no, no, no, no! That's ridiculous, anything but that." Or maybe we'll ask, "Are you sure? 'Coz it just doesn't look right. It doesn't look like a good plan to me." But our idea of what is common, what is right, what is normal, or what is sensible can only take us as far as our eyes can see... as far as our mind can fathom.

Say I'm in a marathon and I'm running behind another person; the finish line is still a few kilometres away. If my eyes are focused in a straight direction, the only thing I would be seeing is his back. I don't really see the finish line. I may not even be aware whether the finish line is close by or is still a few metres away. Then I see another path, a "shortcut" or so I thought. In my mind I want to take that route because it seems like it would bring me to the finish line faster. But then I hear the commentator say that we are approaching the end of the track; thing is, it's hard to believe since I can only hear him. It wouldn't make sense because I couldn't see anything in front of me but this guy's back, yet I can see the other path very clearly. What would've happened if I took the shortcut? What would've happened if I continued on with the race?

Life is full of choices, but blessed are we who has a God who guides. We always have the option to choose what is right - what is in accordance with the plan of Him who paints the entire picture. The only issue is whether we TRUST Him enough to obey even when His command doesn't seem to fit what we think things should be, or when He is leading us to a path that is totally in the opposite direction.

If Thomas didn't pull the correct lever but instead pulled the "seemingly correct" lever, what could've happened? I don't know, but I do know what wouldn't happen - the train wouldn't stop.


Watch this, as a conclusion. :)



MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDATLY.

0 comments: